Ferrari World Abu Dhabi-World's largest theme park
Ferrari World is a Ferrari themed amusement park on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi.The park is situated under a 200,000 m2 roof making it the largest indoor amusement park in the world with world's largest space frame roof. Ferrari World officially opened on November 4, 2010. The theme park is home to Formula Rossa, the world's fastest roller coaster.
Sitting beneath its iconic red roof in the heart of Yas Island, is the world’s first Ferrari theme park and largest attraction of its kind. The Park pays tribute to the passion, excellence, performance, and technical innovation that Ferrari has established over the years and represents today. To house this state of the art leisure attraction, world renowned architectural firm Benoy created a building to reflect the sinuous form of a Ferrari, directly inspired by the classic double curve side profile of the Ferrari GT body.
Due to the shape of the island and the position of Ferrari World Abu Dhabi in close proximity to the airport, the building was conceived as a very simple ‘ground hugging’ form, peeling up from the landscape in flowing lines like a red sand dune. The visually distinctive form and shape crowns the Yas Marina Circuit and due to its location, the sleek shape and beauty of the building can be experienced by anyone driving past or flying over the Island. The building is a true architectural expression of the values of the Ferrari brand itself.
The iconic roof of Ferrari World was designed by Benoy Architects. It is modelled after the side profile of a Ferrari GT. Ramboll provided the structural engineering, masterplanning and urban design, geotechnical engineering and the facade engineering. The roof has a total surface area of 200,000 m2 with a perimeter of 2,200 m. The theme park, measuring 86,000 m2 , is located under this 50 m high roof. These factors make Ferrari World the largest indoor theme park in the world.
A Ferrari logo adorns the roof of the building and measures 65 m by 48.5 m - the largest Ferrari logo ever created. 12,370 tonnes of steel has been used to support this roof.The centre of the roof is marked by a 100-m glazed funnel. The structure was declared completed on 29 October 2009.
• The enclosed volume of air of the upper plaza level is over 3,000,000 cubic metres
• The gross foot print of the plaza level is 86,000 sqm
• The total accommodation of all 3 levels is 176,000 sqm
• The building stands 50m high above sea level, with the central shot ride at a staggering 62.5m high, the highest permissible structure on the flight path to the airport
• The roof structure is over 700 metres in diameter
• The total roof area is 200,000 sqm
• The Ferrari logo on the roof measures an incredible 65 meters in length and covers an area of 3,000 sqm; the biggest Ferrari logo ever created
• The plot the Ferrari World Abu Dhabi building sits on is over 700,000 sqm
• The expansive 48 metre high roof is punctuated by a vast glazed crystal-like funnel measuring 100 metres in diameter at the top, pulling down to just 17 metres diameter at its base
• The central funnel roof is supported on 12 primary columns which form a 12-point Arabic star pattern that is used to describe the primary geometry of the overall roof space and extends out to meet the primary raked shield façade
About Ferrari World Abu Dhabi:
Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is the largest indoor and the only Ferrari theme park in the world, with 20 Ferrari inspired rides and attractions and a priceless collection of more than 30 vintage and contemporary Ferraris. Featuring high adrenaline rides, fun learning attractions suitable for guests of all ages and a unique taste of Italy through its authentic dining experiences, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is the premier family entertainment centre in the region. Every ride incorporates Ferrari design and technology, offering an engaging and interactive multisensory experience that truly brings the Ferrari story to life. Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is one of the signature features of Yas Island, a 2,500 hectare island dedicated to leisure, entertainment and lifestyle.
• The 86,000 SQM enclosed area of Ferrari World Abu Dhabi can fit 7 football fields in ‘head to toe’.
• The roof structure of Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is over 700 meters in diameter, almost double the longest span of the Brooklyn Bridge, or about the length of 7 Statues of Liberty if they were laid out ‘head to toe’.
• The total roof area of 200,000 SQM uses enough aluminum to cover 16,750 Ferrari’s, or if you laid the roof flat you could place 20,100 Ferrari’s side by side and end to end.
• If Ferrari World Abu Dhabi was turned upright, it would be the tallest man made structure in the world at over 300 floors!
• The Ferrari logo on the roof, the largest ever created, measures an incredible 65m in length and covers an area of 3,000 SQM which could fit at least 7 basketball courts.
• The volume of concrete in Hoover Dam could fit inside Ferrari World Abu Dhabi.
• 100,000 cubic meters of concrete were used to pour the slabs of Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, which is 10,000 cubic meters more than what was used for Wembley Stadium in London.
• Ferrari World Abu Dhabi has the largest space frame structure ever built with a total of approximately 172,000 members and 43,100 nodes.
• Ferrari World Abu Dhabi needed 12,370 tons of steel to create its structure; the Eiffel Tower only needed 7,000 tons.
• The enclosed volume of air of the upper plaza level is 3,000,000 cubic meters, equivalent to the total volume of air in 41 hot air balloons.
• The gross footprint area of the plaza level is equivalent to approximately 15 American Football fields.
• The Empire State Building could be rebuilt in the same time it took to clad the 200,000 sqm of roof for Ferrari World Abu Dhabi; approximately 14 months.
• Formula Rossa, the world’s fastest roller coaster, has the same G force one would feel driving in an F1 car and braking at maximum speed.
• Bell’Italia displays more than 40,000 hand-planted miniature trees.
• Ferrari World Abu Dhabi includes 1,200 dining seats – enough to feed the entire park at full capacity in 3 hours.
• A football field needs 8,400 SQM of grass coverage; to cover the area around the roller coasters at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, 4.5 times that amount was used - approximately 39,000 SQM of ground cover.